eTA – Electronic Travel Authorization

The Citizenship and Immigration Canada announced that, after March 15th 2016, a fee will be charged to travelers under the Visa Waiver Program. This fee will be charged when travelers use the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). The charge will be 07.00 dollars and the authorization shall be valid for five years and can be used for multiple trips to Canada.
Starting on August 1, 2015, travelers will be able to apply for an eTA online. As of March 15, 2016, it is mandatory that travelers have an eTA before they board a flight to Canada. Exceptions include citizens of the United States.

All passengers wishing to enter in Canada under the Visa Waiver Program must first obtain an authorization through the website and attach to the passport.

What is it?

An automated, electronic system for screening passengers before they begin travel to Canada under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
It is not a visa. It is a new requirement of the Visa Waiver Program.



Who needs it?

Citizens or nationals of VWP countries* who plan to enter in Canada without a visa by air or sea for temporary business or pleasure. Find out if you require an eTA.

• * Andorra; Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; Austria; Bahamas; Barbados;Brunei Darussalam; Chile; Croatia; Cyprus; Czech Republic; Denmark; Estonia; Finland; France; Federal Republic of Germany; Greece; Hungary; Iceland; Ireland; Italy; Japan; Republic of Korea; Latvia; Liechtenstein; Lithuania; Luxembourg: Malta; Monaco; Netherlands; New Zealand; Norway; Papua New Guinea; Poland; Portugal; Samoa; San Marino; Singapore; Slovakia; Slovenia; Solomon Islands; Spain; Sweden; Switzerland; Belgium; British citizen; British overseas citizen who is re-admissible to the United Kingdom; British overseas territory citizen who derives that citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of:
- Anguilla/Bermuda/British Virgin Islands/Cayman Islands/Falkland Islands/Gibraltar/Montserrat/Pitcairn Island/Saint Helena/Turks and Caicos Islands.

Who doesn’t need it?

American citizens;
Passengers with a valid VISA.

When do they need it?

Mandatory for all VWP travelers entering in Canada without a visa on or after March 15th, 2016.
We encourage travelers to apply for it as soon as they make their travel plans.

How to get it?

By internet:

Provide basic biographical information and answer all the questions required.
Credit card and an email address are mandatory.
Is it free of charge?
No. Will be charge a tax of $7.00 Canadian dollars

How to pay it?

The tax must be paid with a credit card trough the website:
The ETA Response:
Most travelers will receive an answer almost immediately.
It’s mandatory to carry a printout of the ETA approval authorization, to present at the check-in counter as well as on borders service, along with all the necessary documents to travel.

And if the ETA is approved what happens next?

An approved ETA application is valid to make unlimited trips for 5 years, (or until the passport expiration, whichever is shorter), which one comes in first place.

What if a traveler doesn’t have an electronic authorization?

Beginning on March 15th of 2016, VWP travelers who have not received an approved ETA prior to travel may be:
Denied boarding;
Experience delayed processing upon arrival;
Denied admission at Canada port of entry.

Summary: Visa Waiver Program travel requirements

1. Must have a machine-readable passport (Portuguese passport issued after 2001);
2. Travel for up to 180 days on temporary business or pleasure;
3. Round-trip ticket or ticket for onward departure;
4. Arrival on qualified carrier;
5. Beginning March 15th of 2016 must have an approved electronic travel authorization from ETA before traveling.

Do I have to print anything to prove that I have an eTA?

No. An eTA is electronically linked to your passport. You will need to travel with the passport you used to apply for your eTA.

More information:

Ponta Delgada Consulate:
Canada Embassy in Canada