Eligibility and Documentation
Students – citizens between 12 and 26 years old at the beginning of the trip which fall under the following conditions:
- a) Effective frequency of any official or equivalent educational level in the Autonomous Region of the Azores (ARA) including post-graduate courses, masters and doctorates in any public, private or cooperative establishments with last residence in Mainland Portugal, in the ARA, in other country of the European Union or in any other country with which Portugal or the European Union has an agreement on the movement of persons. To obtain the student fare it’s mandatory to present the citizen card with address confirmation at the time of the purchase or taxpayer card and ID card or passport. Citizens of the European Union must present a registration certificate or a certificate of permanent residence. Citizens of countries that are not members of the European Union must present a valid authorization issued by the Portuguese Authorities – SEF (Serviços de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras) – as well as a certificate issued and stamped by the educational establishment that certifies the enrollment in the current school year.
- b) Effective frequency of any official or equivalent educational level in Mainland Portugal or in the Autonomous Region of Madeira (ARM), in other country of the European Union or in any other country with which Portugal has an agreement on the movement of persons, including post-graduate courses/masters or doctorates in any public/private or cooperative establishments with last residence in the ARA. To obtain the student fare it’s mandatory to present the citizen card with address confirmation at the time of the purchase or taxpayer card and ID card/passport, as well as a certificate issued and stamped by the educational establishment that certifies the enrollment in the current school year.
1) The place of residence must be different from the educational establishment’s location.
2) Educational establishments are understood as schools, colleges or higher education establishments that provide educational, vocational or technical courses during a school year, excluding the educational/industrial/military or hospital establishments in which the student is making an internship, except if it’s a curricular internship approved by the educational establishment in which the student is enrolled.
3) When the taxpayer card doesn’t mention the tax district and code, passengers must also prove their residence through a declaration of finance.
4) It’s understood as countries with which there is an agreement on the free movement of persons, the countries of the Schengen area.
5) In the absence of the citizen card/taxpayer card and/or ID card, documents in support of corresponding requests can be accepted as long as containing all the previously mentioned information.
6) This fare cannot be applied if the passenger doesn’t present all necessary documentation at the time of issuing. If the passenger doesn’t prove eligibility at check-in, the ticket must be reissued to another applicable fare (according to the fare’s regulation). Not being possible, in those cases, reissuing/refunding to the student fare.
Note: In inter-island flights travelling in SATA Air Açores (SP) continues to be necessary the presentation of the student certificate.