Home / Before Boarding / Travel to United States

Travel to United States

Visa Waiver Program, allows citizens from certain countries to travel to United States, for tourism or business without visa, as long as stay period is up to 90 days or less. Applying to travel under the visa waiver program, you must complete the Electronic Travel Authorization designated by ESTA*.

You are eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program if:

  • You are a citizen from one of the following countries: Portugal, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Formosa or United Kingdom.
  • You plan to stay in United States up to 90 days
  • You will travel temporarily on business, tourism or medical treatment.
  • You have obtained ESTA travel authorization a, before departure to the United States.
  • If you hold a round trip ticket. If your ticket has as destiny countries such as Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or one of the Caribbean Islands, you may only travel without VISA if you are a resident in one of these countries.
  • If you travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or one of the Caribbean Islands, it must be within the 90 days period.
  • Passport complies all requirements of Visa Waiver Program. Any Portuguese valid passport issued since 2001, meets all requirements.
  • The airline or shipping company participates in the Visa Waiver Program.
  • You cannot extend your stay period.
  • You cannot accept paid or unpaid employment.
  • You cannot change your visa status.

You are not eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program if:

  • You aim to study
  • You think on remaining in the United States for more than 90 days.
  • You have a criminal record.
  • You have any infectious disease such as tuberculosis.
  • If you have already been refused for a visa, have been deported or you have been refused to entry into the United States.

If you meet all requirements above described for the Visa Waiver Program, Don’t need to apply for a Visa. If you are not sure you meet all requirements to benefit from Visa Waiver Program or if you need more information, you may check at:

* Don’t need to have specific plans to travel to United States to apply for ESTA travel authorization. However, it is recommended that ESTA travel authorization is obtained, as soon as you plan a trip to the United States and ticketing. Children, accompanied or not and regardless of the age, also need ESTA travel authorization and to meet the conditions required by Visa Waiver Program.


Passengers under 18 years old, are considered minors and need appropriate documentation to travel outside their residence country. It might be necessary some of the documents listed below if not all, depending on the case. May run the risk of denied boarding:

  • Passport (in the same conditions described above, for the adult).
  • Certified statement attesting the expressed authorization allowing child to travel abroad (for example: when child travels with only one parent).
  • Additional identification such as birth certificate or citizen/identity card.
  • Other legal documents such as: Official court documents (eg.: custody / divorce), or death certificate (in case of death of a parent).

Please confirm all necessary documents at the embassy/consulate of the country you wish to travel, as well as the official national services, to know about other regulations that rules minors traveling abroad.

For more information please visit the link below: